CORPORATE WORKSHOP ON SOFTWARE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
and people, of late, have shown new or renewed interest in Project Management,
in general, and Software Project Management, in particular. Software Project
Management requires more than an understanding of data models, expertise
in development languages, and the user interface principles etc. You may
have the best code writer or programmer or Analyst in your company, but
if your company does not have a couple of good Software Project Managers,
the chances are good that you will be out of business soon. For, Software
Project Management directly affects the bottom line of any company's financial
health depending on whether Software Projects are managed on time, within
budget and to the customer satisfaction.
Present Status of IT Projects:
The alarming reality, even in developed nations like US, is that about
one-half (50%) of the estimated 300,000 Software Projects will fail due
to poor planning, inexperienced Project Managers, or inept Project teams.
With the advent of new technologies, computer hardware, software, and
networks as well as the use of interdisciplinary and global work teams,
the work environment has been radically changed. The changes have fueled
the need for more sophisticated projects and thus a need for more sophisticated
and better Project Management. In fact, today's corporations do recognize
that, in order to be successful and competitive in a highly time and cost-driven
market, they need to be conversant with use of Modern Project Management
the Standish Group published the much-quoted study entitled "CHAOS". It
reported that the overall success rate of IT Projects was only 16.2%.
They defined the success as meeting Project goals on time and on budget.
It also reported that over 31% of IT Projects were cancelled before completion.
The authors of this study emphasized the need for better Project Management
in the IT industry.
study done by the same Standish Group in 1998 showed that 26% of IT Projects
succeeded in meeting Scope, Time and Cost goals. However, 46% IT Projects
were "challenged" - i.e. completed over budget and past the original deadline
- and 28% failed, it reported. Better Project Management is one of the
reasons provided for the improvements. However, there are still 74% projects
remained to be improved, thus paving the way for a great demand for effective
Software Project Managers in the ensuing years.
/ Software Project Management
Corporate Training - Course Module Contents
3-Day on-site workshop
Workshop has specially been designed for the Software Project Companies,
GMs, DGMs, Sr.Managers, IT Project Mangers, Analysts, Programmers, EDP
Mangers, & Other IT Professionals in order to reap the benefits of State-of-the-art
tools, Techniques in Software Projects Management.
Basics of Project Management
as a Profession
- Project Management Body of Knowledge -(PMBOK® Guide) .
- PM Maturity Assessment .
- The Triple Constraints (Time, Cost & Quality)
- Project life cycle approach
- Organisation structures (Functional / Matrix/ Projectized).
Foundations of Project Management
is a Project?
- What is a Project Management?
- What is a Program?
- Hard & soft skills of a PM
Introduction to IT Projects
of IT Projects
- IT Development Process Models
- IT Projects Vs. Construction Projects
- Present State of IT Projects.
- Why IT Projects fail.
- Gather Customer requirements
- Analyse requirements
- Prepare an SRS/Justify Projects
- Set Requirements Baseline
- Prepare & submit RFP
- Requirements Change Management (RCM)
- R.M- Check List.
- Identify the Project Manger/ Project Teams
Configuration Management .
& Setting up CM
- Primary Objective of CM plan.
- Configuration Management Process.
- Configuration Baseline
- Configuration Change Management Software Change Order (SCO)
Project Scope Management .
- The most important activity in PM
- Scope Management Plan
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Developing a WBS
- Sample WBS for a Software Project
- Using a Top-down Approach to Build a WBS
- Using a Bottom-Up Approach to build a WBS
- Scope creep & WBS
Project Time Management .
Charts . Gantt Charts
- Milestone Chart
- Network Chart
- CPM/PERT Techniques
- Who Owns the Float
Project Management Software-MS Project 2000
Sample Software Project Schedule
- Resource Allocation
- Find Critical paths
- Management Reports
- Using Earned Value
- Schedule Variances (SV)
- Cost Variance (CV)
- How to crash/compress a schedule
Estimating for Software Projects (Optional)
Estimating is Difficult
- Typical Software Project Estimates (COCOMO-II)
- Typical IT Project Costs
- Cost Estimating(Cost Xpert-Software)
- Time Estimates
Project Risk Management
- Cost Risk Management
- Quality Risk Management
Challenges in Managing Software Projects (Optional)
& Hard Skills of a Software Project Manager
- Software Capability Maturity Model (CMM)
- Project Management Maturity Model (PMM)
- ISO 9001 Vs. CMM Vs. PMM
- Process Tailoring
- Ten FAQs in Software Project Management.
Workshop Fees :
be quoted by IIPM® as per modules selected by corporates
Go to SPM Executive
Go to SPM Advance